• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Lady Commander

Started by anima, July 26, 2005, 01:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingdragon

ooooooooooooo
well here the language in England is referred to as English-English
Actually, I thought the language was the same. Or maybe it's called old english?

For further reference, here are the definitions of english, england, america, and language.

Eng‧lishâ€, /ˈɪŋglɪʃ or, often, -lɪʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ing-glish or, often, -lish] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
â€"adjective
1.   of, pertaining to, or characteristic of England or its inhabitants, institutions, etc.
2.   belonging or pertaining to, or spoken or written in, the English language.
â€"noun
3.   the people of England collectively, esp. as distinguished from the Scots, Welsh, and Irish.
4.   the Germanic language of the British Isles, widespread and standard also in the U.S. and most of the British Commonwealth, historically termed Old English (c450â€"c1150), Middle English (c1150â€"c1475), and Modern English (after c1475). Abbreviation: E
5.   English language, composition, and literature as offered as a course of study in school.
6.   a specific variety of this language, as that of a particular time, place, or person: American English; Shakespearean English.
7.   simple, straightforward language: What does all that jargon mean in English?
8.   Sports. (sometimes lowercase)
a.   a spinning motion imparted to a ball, esp. in billiards.
b.   body English.
9.   Printing. a 14-point type of a size between pica and Columbian.
10.   a grade of calendered paper having a smooth matte finish.
â€"verb (used with object)
11.   to translate into English: to English Euripides.
12.   to adopt (a foreign word) into English; Anglicize.
13.   (sometimes lowercase) Sports. to impart English to (a ball).
[Origin: bef. 900; ME; OE Englisc, equiv. to Engle (pl.) the English (cf. L Anglī; see Angle) + -isc -ish1]

â€"Related forms
Eng‧lish‧ness, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Eng·land (ngglnd)  Pronunciation Key  Audio pronunciation of "england" [P]

A division of the United Kingdom, the southern part of the island of Great Britain. Originally settled by Celtic peoples, it was subsequently conquered by Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, and Normans. Acts of union joined England with Wales in 1536, with Scotland in 1707 to create the political entity of Great Britain, and with Ireland in 1801 to form the United Kingdom. London is the capital and the largest city of both England and the United Kingdom. Population: 46,220,955.

(Download Now or Buy the Book)
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

A‧mer‧i‧caâ€, /əˈmÉ›rɪkÉ™/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-mer-i-kuh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
â€"noun
1.   United States.
2.   North America.
3.   South America.
4.   Also called the Americas. North and South America, considered together.

an‧guageâ€, /ˈlæŋgwɪdÊ'/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lang-gwij] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
â€"noun
1.   a body of words and the systems for their use common to a people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition: the two languages of Belgium; a Bantu language; the French language; the Yiddish language.
2.   communication by voice in the distinctively human manner, using arbitrary sounds in conventional ways with conventional meanings; speech.
3.   the system of linguistic signs or symbols considered in the abstract (opposed to speech).
4.   any set or system of such symbols as used in a more or less uniform fashion by a number of people, who are thus enabled to communicate intelligibly with one another.
5.   any system of formalized symbols, signs, sounds, gestures, or the like used or conceived as a means of communicating thought, emotion, etc.: the language of mathematics; sign language.
6.   the means of communication used by animals: the language of birds.
7.   communication of meaning in any way; medium that is expressive, significant, etc.: the language of flowers; the language of art.
8.   linguistics; the study of language.
9.   the speech or phraseology peculiar to a class, profession, etc.; lexis; jargon.
10.   a particular manner of verbal expression: flowery language.
11.   choice of words or style of writing; diction: the language of poetry.
12.   Computers. a set of characters and symbols and syntactic rules for their combination and use, by means of which a computer can be given directions: The language of many commercial application programs is COBOL.
13.   a nation or people considered in terms of their speech.
14.   Archaic. faculty or power of speech.
[Origin: 1250â€"1300; ME < AF, var. sp. of langage, deriv. of langue tongue. See lingua, -age]

â€"Synonyms 2. See speech. 4, 9. tongue; terminology; lingo, lingua franca. Language, dialect, jargon, vernacular refer to patterns of vocabulary, syntax, and usage characteristic of communities of various sizes and types. Language is applied to the general pattern of a people or race: the English language. Dialect is applied to certain forms or varieties of a language, often those that provincial communities or special groups retain (or develop) even after a standard has been established: Scottish dialect. A jargon is either an artificial pattern used by a particular (usually occupational) group within a community or a special pattern created for communication in business or trade between members of the groups speaking different languages: the jargon of the theater; the Chinook jargon. A vernacular is the authentic natural pattern of speech, now usually on the informal level, used by persons indigenous to a certain community, large or small.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

T3h luggage

Bah, is is colour or color?  Both are acceptable.  Just as Judgement or Judgment are both correct.  Do it however you want, we really don't care.

Karm5000

Being a writer by trade and hobby I should be intrested in where this topic is at right now, but Im not. It all feels long winded. To Dodger I had no idea this sprite idea was implemented for six months because I never was able to play more than five ppl per cyber battles game. That would be quite a crowded battlefield.
Its just my opinion deal with it for I will change the world.

Karm5000

Dodger

And then he types a gramatically correct sentance....Do two people use your account Karm?

Karm5000

Quote from: Dodger on November 06, 2006, 06:11:31 PM
And then he types a gramatically correct sentance....Do two people use your account Karm?

No why? does it seem that way?  ???

Karm5000

flamingdragon

B/C everyone now thinks ur ults due to hafer's evilness!!!!!!!

unless u are ults, in which case, u r evil.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

SabreWulf

Quote from: flamingdragon on November 09, 2006, 02:06:52 AM
B/C everyone now thinks ur ults due to hafer's evilness!!!!!!!

unless u are ults, in which case, u r evil.

Your spelling is evil  ;)

Karm5000

You ppl are wierd, but then I guess I should fit right into this whole mess no?

Karm5000

th3_gu3st

i am ults  all hail guest all hail guest  he is the best anand rules guts sack beboop

MUHAHAHAHHA ANOTHER HACK FOR ME

Dodger

Apart from The_Guest can actually type without sounding like a retard.

th3_gu3st

LOL stfu DoDgEr YoU nOoB I oWn YoUr AsS fOr I aM aNaNd ThE gReAt

Dodger

Karm5000

Maybe I should reconsider fitting in? *|

Karm5000

flamingdragon

Yes, ur to weird for even us, GTFO.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

T3h luggage

Hey, Karm, you should prolly leave while you're ahead.  I'm stuck in like quicksand, but it isn't too late for you...