• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Size of games

Started by Bakster, March 26, 2006, 12:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What size of game do you prefer?

2-3 player
4-6 player

Bakster

This is the big debate. The one we've all been waiting for. I know I've posted this in the past, but there are many new faces and I'd like to see the results.

As you already know, I prefer small games.

Firstly because they are convenient (or should be). You (should) only need 2 people to start it, if it wasn't for the stubborn assholes who have to wait in the lobby for 6 player games instead of being sensible and playing a 2 player game to pass the time.

Secondly, they are more equal. In 6 player games, the people who don't go first are at a serious disadvantage because they are very close to the person who goes first. And the use of goo/fire to "pin" the opponent down on the first turn is also advantageous, as the "pinned" person can't escape the fire/goo in one turn. In 2 player games, both players have more or less an equal chance to win. And since the distance between them is large, there is more time to prepare for holos by summoning weak monsters/transport and using commander upgrades. In larger games, you only get one turn to prepare for this, compared to the 3-4 turns preparation time in smaller games.

Mathwiz has said that 2 player games are a "holofest". And 6 player games aren't? There are more people who are less spread out. More players + less spread = More holograms. As aforementioned, you have more "preparation time" before your opponent gets close to you in smaller games, so there is less chance that your opponent will use a hologram on you.

Finally, two player games are quick. I don't mind losing a 2 player game, I can get the points back within 5 minutes. However, if you battle for 15 minutes to get to the final two in a 6 player game, and lose, then it's very disheartening (for me at least). And since 2 player games are quicker, I find them much more exciting.

Dodger

I prefer big games, as long as they are with good players. I find them more exhilarating.

Although I wont sit in lobby waiting for 6 people to arrive.

SiR gUt

ugh more WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but what ever. I rather play 6 players and when I do go last or 3rd or what ever, I dont really find it that much more difficuly.... i dont see why you cant win in 3+ player game bakster :(
THE GUEST IS  HAVING HIS PERIOD!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA 

THE MIAMI HEAT HAD THE WORST FREE THROW SHOOTING PERCENTAGE IN FINALS HISTORY 37% AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AND DALLAS MAVERICKS IS GOING TO SWEEP THE MIAMI HEAT AHAHAHAHA

The_Gu3st

4 player games are my favorite.

MathWiz20

Well you all know what I voted for...4-6 of course

Yes I do believe 2 player games are a holofest.  It doesn't take any skill to kill someone with a holo...all you need is a halfway decent hand, a method to get close to the other commander, and you've won...doesn't require any skill.

6 player games on the other hand require a lot more skill, and no bakster they are not holofests.  Why?  Because it's not worth it to throw a holo at someone at the beginning of the game...because when the alignment is high you'll wish you hadn't used that holo and you'll lose.  You gotta think more long-term in 6 player games and they require a lot more planning and strategy in my opinion, so that's why I like them.  And plus when I win them I get 10 points as opposed to the worthless 2 I get from throwing a holo at someone in a 1 on 1...I could do that in my sleep  ;)
I am a firm believer that the integral of e^x = f(u)^n, or, in mathematical notation: sex = fun.

Jacob50

Larger games are way more intersting than smaller. I dont mind a 2 or 3 player games to pass the time but 
still, larger games are what i think this game was made for. Someone should made a topic to discuss whether going first/second/third... is an advantage or disadvantage. The way I see it, in a 2 player game it doesnt really matter (but going 1st can be just a little better), in three player its best to go second (the guy in the middle often gets attacked by both the second and third player) and 4/5/6 player first or second, sometimes last so that if you survive the initial onslaught and are among the last standing you can holo all you want to.

Bakster

Quote from: MathWiz20 on March 26, 2006, 05:19:36 AM
Well you all know what I voted for...4-6 of course

Yes I do believe 2 player games are a holofest.  It doesn't take any skill to kill someone with a holo...all you need is a halfway decent hand, a method to get close to the other commander, and you've won...doesn't require any skill.

It takes even less skill in 6 player because you don't need a method to get close to the other commander, you're already there.

Quote from: MathWiz206 player games on the other hand require a lot more skill, and no bakster they are not holofests.  Why?  Because it's not worth it to throw a holo at someone at the beginning of the game...because when the alignment is high you'll wish you hadn't used that holo and you'll lose.  You gotta think more long-term in 6 player games and they require a lot more planning and strategy in my opinion, so that's why I like them. 

Most player don't think long term (such as I ;) ). If someone is a threat, I kill them. Even if Player 1 doesn't intend to use holos, Player 2 will be paranoid and holodetect every other turn, so he will lose valuable time and probably lose the game.
You can consider long term in a 6 player game if you're alive by turn 3. Goo, fire, teleport, eye, robot can all kill in 2-3 turns (excluding holos). By turn 5, 3 people will have died unless someone is lucky.

Quote from: MathWiz20And plus when I win them I get 10 points as opposed to the worthless 2 I get from throwing a holo at someone in a 1 on 1...I could do that in my sleep  ;)

If it's so easy, why don't you play 2 player games to pass the time whilst waiting forever for 4 more players to arrive?
I could get 10 points in 5 1v1 games much faster than winning a 6 player game. Not only will the latter take a long time, there is little chance of me winning one.
1v1 is more of a challenge than you think (depending on your opponent), it's just you never play it so you make assumptions.

Dodger

Woot, I always think long term, which is why I die short term. :(

MathWiz20

Heh bakster I'll pick apart your arguments one at a time but I know you're stubborn and won't change so you won't listen.

Basically, I like challenging myself.  Why do I not play 1 v 1?  Because it's too easy.  There's no skill or strategy involved.  I seriously COULD do it in my sleep, but that's no fun...it's boring...basic...dull...completely DUMB!!!

There's also a reason why eye and laser robot's gun have only 4 str...because less than half the time they will kill a commander.  So your argument about eye and laser are faulty because they work less than half the time...if you beam a transport right away it doesn't work at all...worst case scenario you lose your transport...then holo the eye or laser and whoopee...maybe you wasted a jeep...big deal it's worth it.  Goo and fire have a very low percentage chance of killing commander right in the beginning.  It's impossible on the first turn, and most smart players will back away from it if it's used on the first turn.

I don't play this game for the rating...I play it for the fun.  You're right I could dominate 1 v 1 if I wanted to...but that's no fun.  I'd rather dominate 6 player...it takes a lot more skill, is a lot more challenging, and is a lot more fun.
I am a firm believer that the integral of e^x = f(u)^n, or, in mathematical notation: sex = fun.

Dodger

Quote from: MathWiz20 on March 26, 2006, 06:44:27 PM
I don't play this game for the rating...I play it for the fun.  You're right I could dominate 1 v 1 if I wanted to...but that's no fun.  I'd rather dominate 6 player...it takes a lot more skill, is a lot more challenging, and is a lot more fun.

:) I agree.

StarSabre

I don't get why the original chaos let us do 8 player games but Andy reduced it to 6... I'd like to see an 8 player room size. :P
-Crosses Sabre-

Bakster

Quote from: MathWiz20 on March 26, 2006, 06:44:27 PM
Heh bakster I'll pick apart your arguments one at a time but I know you're stubborn and won't change so you won't listen.

Likewise ;)

Quote from: MathWiz20Basically, I like challenging myself.  Why do I not play 1 v 1?  Because it's too easy.  There's no skill or strategy involved.  I seriously COULD do it in my sleep, but that's no fun...it's boring...basic...dull...completely DUMB!!!

I like challenging myself too, but not in certain circumstances. If you manage to survive the first few turns of a 6 player game, then 6 players can be fun. But as far as I'm concerned, the less players there are, the more fun I get ;D
For me, winning contributes largely towards the fun. I don't mind losing once or twice, but losing several times pisses me off.

Quote from: MathWiz20There's also a reason why eye and laser robot's gun have only 4 str...because less than half the time they will kill a commander.  So your argument about eye and laser are faulty because they work less than half the time...if you beam a transport right away it doesn't work at all...worst case scenario you lose your transport...then holo the eye or laser and whoopee...maybe you wasted a jeep...big deal it's worth it.  Goo and fire have a very low percentage chance of killing commander right in the beginning.  It's impossible on the first turn, and most smart players will back away from it if it's used on the first turn.

In a 5-6 player game, you can't back away from the goo since you are next to a wall. That was my point earlier, that doesn't happen in 2 player games.
Eye and robot are not the only monsters. With such a little gap between the players, it might be possible to holo flying slimes, hover tanks, cyborgs etc. You don't have to holo a big monster (although most people will anyway).

Quote from: MathWiz20I don't play this game for the rating...I play it for the fun.  You're right I could dominate 1 v 1 if I wanted to...but that's no fun.  I'd rather dominate 6 player...it takes a lot more skill, is a lot more challenging, and is a lot more fun.

I play for a bit of both. But in general, I find smaller games much more enjoyable than 6 player games for reasons already described. And 1v1 is more productive for points ;D