• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Language Filter

Started by Hawk, April 09, 2005, 06:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I know sometimes we just need to express our feelings with light swearing, but having guests repeatedly throw F*** back and forth is a sight I can barely stand.  Could we have a filter that only blocks out, well, the eff word, racist remarks and other vulgarities? :P

ZAPTONE_Z

censorship makes me sad  :'(

TheMcCool

Curse words are hardcore. Saying them alot means you're tough.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

zzboots

I'm pro-light censorship.  :P
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

zozefup

Give me a chat block then,  because I don't want to hear it. (or read it)

matlu

Quote from: zozefup on June 19, 2005, 02:17:44 PM
Give me a chat block then,  because I don't want to hear it. (or read it)

same with me. I kick such people out of the game on sight (or after warning). But I canot be online always :(   Probably I'll give moderator right to some people.
Writting chat filter is too much work, it not 100% effective.

Right now I don't consider it as TOO big issue. People who do it are mostly casual players, coming very seldom. I don't want to waste my time programming language filter because of few half-idiots. Please try to ignore them and don't get upset. It's hard, I know :/

If this game ever become bigger, I will think about this problem seriously. Again, right now I'm trying just to ignore idiots.

Bakster

I guess this is why most people here hate shizmoo.  :o

BlitzJoker

Quote from: matlu on June 19, 2005, 02:31:51 PM
I don't want to waste my time programming language filter because of few half-idiots.

Couldn't this chat filter be "copied" into any games you make, if they have a chat feature (Hint: your aspiration of a MMORPG  ;) )

picolo

I dont understand the problem with language. I doubt we need a filter bcuz sometimes i just need to express my feelings as they come. Hawk, you've played games with me and i think u heard me shouting vulgar words like f*** or s*** because of bad calls by the game like my spider being killed by a slime warior or something. I say the words but not directly at a player because they is being rude to me and I dont like that but I mean there has to be a way to express yourself just as if you were sitting right next to me and playing each other. (Sorry if you guys cant understand some of my grammar)  ;)

matlu

You know, it doesn't really matter how do you mean it, because it offends people anyway. (it also offends me). So try to express your feelings in some other way

Parsley

I remember a game I used to play with an amusing swear filter.

If you said a word on the banned list, then your chat msg would say something like: 'I'm a naughty boy, spank me!', or 'I have a potty mouth!'

matlu

probably simpliest solution could be to add "mute" button, so anybody can turn off the chat if it's too offending for him

Bakster

Ignore feature.

/Ignore Mr. Idiot

BladeSabre

^ just what I was thinking

skin

you know its pretty sad that most of us as americans want to be censored... i mean its a freedom we have to say what we want... i just think its sad that people get that mad over one word... get over it.. i mean your gonna hear fukc all the time... its just a word